Categories

Sunday 1 July 2012

Interview - know your worth !

I got called for an interview for a job which i am not qualified for a month ago.So i had mixed feelings about the interview:
  1. Overjoyed as even though I don't have the experience nor the qualification what they were looking, I was under impression perhaps they see something parallel from my past experience.
  2. Sceptical as the recruiter didn't even bother to give me a ring to discuss about the job instead sent me an e-mail requesting me to attend interview and so forth.In addition, I had tried to call them several times as I would like to re-schedule the interview but to no avail.I sent them an e-mail instead and on which i received an unceremonious answer. "OK" !..Yes..straightforward answer "OK"...That is all !
On the day of the interview-----I managed to be there on time, infact much earlier than the scheduled time.I was greeted by a malay gentleman who should be in his 40's.He then requested me to take my seat and fill up the application form which could be upto 5/6 pages.They were two other guys sitting beside me and one of them was sleeping soundly.As I was filling up the form given to me, i had a glimpse of the meeting room which is just opposite where I was seated.I got a bit sceptical as I overheard the interview going on was conducted in Malay !..YES.. MALAY !..My mind was occupied with thoughts such as  " what IF the interview is going to be conducted in Malay?!.."how am I going to reply them with the appropriate words in Malay".Not that I don't speak Malay ,i can speak and read Malay fluently.Its just that I am not good in putting up good malay words especially those in professional terms.Furthermore , working in an American MNC company for almost 4 years doesn't help at all ^_^
As all these thoughts come into my mind, i heard a call "Mr.err..I was like " Yes".."u can come in now"..me with huge sigh of relief smiled and went into the room.I was seated at the head of a 40-foot long table, surrounded by 3 hiring managers, and they all sat there staring at me like I was an alien.A Chinese gentleman , the so called boss..sitting as though he is in a Chinese coffee shop, next a heavily pregnant Malay lady with a huge smile on her face and third a malay gentleman with a huge smirk smile.I proceed to shook hands with the two gentleman and acknowledge the lady with a trademark smile of mine.
concisely..these are the questions directed to me :
  1. "What you doing before ah? "
  2. "this job requires someoene who is strong and can handle people.U sure u can handle people ah?"
  3. "can reduce your salary ah?"
  4. "u sure u can handle people ah?" (I had to re-assure him again)
  5. "how about Malay language" " can u speak malay fluently" ( It's evident he didn't pay attention when I introduced myself early on)
Several question from my side than I can recall:
  1. Beforehand, could you tell me the day to day responsibilities/duties? ( as the HM begin to discuss if its okay for me to work on weekend)
  2. What are the prospect of growth and opportunities?
  3. Does that answer your question? ( as there was awkward silence after I have answered one of their query) 
  4. Would it be okay to take a minute and lead you through my professional background? ( As the HM didn't even bother to check my professional certs)
Summary


I have to say it was one of the most disappointing and rushed interviews I have ever had in my life.The whole thing was done and dusted within around 25 mins.No reference was made towards my past work history, and they seemed to care very little about the experience I already had as a team leader.Very little eye contact and kind of rude ! Most likely will not accept the job if offered.


Advice

  • Don't be afraid to end an interview on your own if you are told you are not qualified early into it. Your time is precious and those kinds of statements mean they have made their minds up based off something other than your qualifications.
  • Research the place you applied for before the interview, you might not like it.
  • If the place of the interview seems disorganized and there is confusion going all around you - just leave, this is not a place you want to work.
  • Don't interview at a company that doesn't value your time or take you seriously.
  • If the hiring manager is a jerk, don't accept the job or don't go further in the interviewing process.


No comments:

Post a Comment